National Urban League, 2012 State of Black America

The widening wealth gap and a system of privilege that has benefited the richest 1% of Americans at the expense of the other 99% made headlines this year with the genesis of the Occupy Wall Street movement. Yet, more than the economy, more than jobs, more than an excellent education for all children, the single issue that arguably stands to have the greatest impact on the future of Black America in 2012 is the vote. This 36th edition of the State of Black America examines how increased civic engagement by people of color will aid urban communities in their attainment of educational and employment success, empowering both these individual communities and the entire nation.

 

The 2012 State of Black America won an American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Philadelphia Design Award.